I just wanted to get a quick recipe up before all of the family stuff starts for Thanksgiving. Once the family is all in one place, there is no time for editing photos or typing out recipes. I mean, I love you guys, but I’m not about to miss a game of Old Maid with the grandkids to tell you how I came up with my latest culinary masterpiece.
So, let’s get right to it – these bars came about because I had a couple of things around the kitchen I was sure would be just fantastic together. The apple butter and caramel sauce posts I did recently seemed like a match made in heaven, and these flavors had my mind going straight to an oatmeal cookie – or a bar cookie, as it turned out. And it is a very good place to go – wow are these good!
Both of these items can be purchased at the store, should you not have the time or inclination to make them yourself. Or, you might find more artisinal versions at a farmer’s market. No matter what this is an unbeatable flavor combo, and no matter how you get the ingredients, it will be worth it.
- ½ cup soft butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 & ½ cup quick oats
- 1 cup apple butter
- ½ cup caramel sauce
- Generously butter an 8 x8 inch baking pan, preheat oven to 350º
- Beat together the butter and sugar, add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, oats, salt and baking powder, and beat until completely combined.
- Press ¾ of the crust mixture in the buttered pan.
- Spread the apple butter over the crust.
- Distribute the remaining ¼ of the crust mixture over the apple butter, in small dots.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the entire top is well browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with no unbaked crust sticking – some apple butter may be on there, but there should be no crumbs. Cool and cut into rectangles. Store tightly sealed.
These are just incredibly tasty, and everyone will enjoy them. Well – if they get any that is. One reason I wanted to get this done today, is that this way I avoid the fam seeing the photos over my shoulder while I’m editing them, and asking where these bars are now, and how come we didn’t save some to share? ‘Cause these babies are gone gone gone.
I hope that you here in the states have a Thanksgiving filled with every kind of blessing – actually I hope that for you, no matter where you are or what you might be celebrating. See you on the flip side!