I don’t watch a whole lot of TV, but “Chopped” on the Food Network has always been a favorite of mine. I’ve never had any real desire to actually be on the show, because I like to cook at a much more leisurely pace than would be needed to actually finish in the time allotted.
But when Sargento® asked me if I would like to do a recipe for their Chopped at Home promotion, I thought it sounded like a lot of fun, so I happily said yes.
After all, no one would be holding a timer over my head, and I could test out my idea a few times to make sure I got it just so. No pressure, right?
As with the show, I had a list of ingredients that I needed to utilize in a recipe. And for me, even if I took a little longer to perfect my recipe, I think it’s more fun if it can actually be finished in a very short time. These Chicken Fajita Couscous Dinner Bowls can be ready in just about a half hour. A fast, scrumptious and easy family meal that everyone will love, because they can customize their own bowls.
The ingredients I had to include were chicken tenders, couscous, salsa and last but not least, Sargento® Off the Block 4 Cheese Mexican. I admit to being a bit skeptical about using couscous with the other ingredients, because it is more typically a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern ingredient, but it is SO good in these Tex-Mex inspired dinner bowls.
Speaking of the cheese, this Sargento® Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican is delicious stuff – cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese, it includes Monterey Jack, Mild Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero, all of which combine to give your dishes a great Mexican flair.
Chicken tenders, which are ready to use, jarred salsa and the shredded cheese all mean the prep goes incredibly fast – truly a last minute meal. And stay tuned, because I am going to tell you how you can enter Sargento’s Chopped at Home contest, where your recipe using these same ingredients, could win $10,000!
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- ½ chicken broth
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- Spice rub
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- ½ medium onion, cut into strips
- 1 lime
- 1 package Sargento Fine Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican
- avocados, sour cream, additional salsa, hot sauce and lime wedges for serving
- Combine the salsa and chicken broth in a medium size bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 90 seconds.
- Remove bowl carefully, pull back plastic, and stir in the couscous, and replace plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Lay the chicken tenders out on a plate and sprinkle with the spice rub and about ½ teaspoon of the salt. If you like things spicy, you can use more rub, or just sprinkle very lightly if you like it more mild.
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a wide saute pan, and over medium heat, cook the chicken turning to brown all sides.
- When the chicken is cooked through, squeeze the juice from ½ of the lime over top, place the chicken on a plate and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the hot pan, and add the peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle lightly with the remaining salt, and saute over medium heat until tender-crisp.
- To assemble the bowls, layer the couscous in the bottom, sprinkle generously with cheese, top with some of the chicken tenders and the sauteed peppers and onions.
- Serve with the additional salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, avocado, and lime wedges.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Simple, fast and packed with delicious flavors, all complimenting the wonderful smooth flavors in the cheese.
The Chopped at Home Challenge gives viewers a chance to create their best recipe using the selected basket ingredients, including Sargento Shredded Cheese, for a chance to win $10,000! I hope that you will be inspired to go and enter today!
Available in 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts, Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese. For more inspiration, check out the Sargento Pinterest page Pinterest.com/sargentocheese/ or visit Sargento.com for more information. The Chopped at Home Challenge gives viewers a chance to create their best recipe using the selected basket ingredients, including Sargento Shredded Cheese, for a chance to win $10,000!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.