We had a great Thanksgiving this year, all except the souvenirs we all seemed to have brought home with us. I estimate there were no fewer than 3 different colds kicking around among us, and the one that followed us home is just no fun at all. Sitting and staring vaguely into space between coughing fits is a singularly inefficient way to get any blogging done. But then, the fog lifted for a moment, and I realized that I can probably rely on my lack of organization and find a recipe that is all tested and shot, and nearly ready to go.
Sure enough – I had come up with this delightful version of chocolate chip cookies back in September, but never got around to posting it. It’s almost like I planned it, right? Which is a good thing when your tastebuds have gone on strike, and your smeller went with them. I have no interest in cooking food that I can’t enjoy, and even less in cooking if I have to take a little nap on the kitchen floor between each step.
These are a cake type cookie, rather than my usual crispy-chewy ones, with a tender, dense texture sparked with a burst of orange peel that sets off the rich chocolate perfectly. Another huge plus for me, is that they actually taste better a few days later, as the orange flavor really blooms after awhile – handy for this busy time of year, when leaving things to the last minute isn’t always convenient.
One important step is to make sure your cream cheese is very soft – if it is frim at all, you will have a much harder time getting it to incorporate with the butter and sugar.
- 6 ounces very soft cream cheese
- 4 ounces soft butter
- 1 & ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Fresh zest of a large orange
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 & ½ cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line heavy baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together.
- Add the sugar and beat until fluffy and light.
- Add the eggs and beat well, followed by the vanilla and orange zest.
- Add the flour, baking powder & salt and beat until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, portion the cookies onto the prepared sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes Cool on a rack – store at room temp in a tightly sealed container for up to a week, freeze for longer storage.
See? Just imagine that – melty chocolate and lots of yummy orange flavor. Did I mention that you can even warm them back up to serve if you like? See you in a few days – when I hope I will be feeling a little less whiny. Have a great weekend!