Chai Pear Scones
Author: Donalyn Ketchum
Recipe type: Quick Breads - Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black tea, from one regular size tea bag, rubbed between fingertips until finely crumbled
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 ounces chilled butter, cup in small cubes
- 1 cup diced pear
- 1 cup very cold buttermilk [shake well before measuring]
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and line a heavy baking sheet with parchment, or oil the 12 spots where the scones will go.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Use a pastry cutter or two table knives to cut in the butter - it should resemble coarse crumbs - some little bits of butter should still be visible.
- Taking care not to over-mix, fold in the diced pear and the buttermilk.
- Spread a bit of flour on your work surface, and scrape dough out on top. Dust the top of the dough lightly with flour, and flour your hands.
- Gently pat the dough into a rectangle, about 6 by 8 inches, squaring edges and corners so they will be nice and straight.
- Use a bench scraper or long knife to cut into 12 squares, making 3 cuts along the 8 inch side and 2 along the 6 inch side. You can also cut them with a round biscuit cutter, or cut in triangles.
- Place on the sheet and brush the tops lightly with buttermilk, for a nicely browned, glossy top.
- Bake for 17 minutes or so, until done and nicely browned. Cool on a rack.
I used bosc pears, but any kind will work as well - they should be ripe, but still a bit firm.
Recipe by The Creekside Cook at http://thecreeksidecook.com/chai-pear-scones/