Plus, a review of Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook
As we get into these shorter winter days, I think we are all looking for meals that will comfort and warm everyone up when they come to the table. I know that is how we feel about dinner time around here – cozy comfy meals that take the chill off the long evenings.
So, when QVC asked me to review their own David Venable’s cookbook, Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook, I was happy to see that is contains a good number of the kind of food we most want to eat this time of year.
The cookbook overall is set up in a very approachable style – the chapters are like little individual cookbooks that are categorized by how they are prepared, as well as when they might be shared.
There are chapters on cooking methods, like “Smoke & Fire” for grilling, “Low & Slow” for slow cookers and “Quick & Easy” for pressure cookers. You will find great party ideas in the chapters on brunch and beverages. The chapter on family meals, Gather & Share”, is wonderful, with ideas to suit every taste. I can’t wait to try the recipes in the “Fresh & Flavorful” – so many great ideas in that chapter! “Mix & Mingle” has great party food and you can probably figure out what you’ll find in “Sweets & Treats”, right?
So, I had to choose a recipe to try here at home, and with the busy holiday season, I wanted to find something I could get together in a hurry, and share with all of you busy people. This Five-Cheese, Fifteen-Minute Stovetop Mac ’n’ Cheese is the perfect answer for a fast meal at the end of a busy day. It is decadently rich, kid friendly, and saying it takes 15 minutes might even be stretching it a bit – it was ready in no time at all. Here is David Venable’s recipe for this great meal
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups heavy cream, warmed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) shredded Asiago
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded yellow extra-sharp Cheddar
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded white sharp Cheddar
- 1 pound gemelli or other pasta twists, cooked
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the flour and mustard and stir with a wooden spoon or whisk until a thick paste forms, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring until the sauce becomes thick.
- Add the Gouda, Gruyère, Asiago, yellow Cheddar, and white Cheddar, stirring the cheeses until melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir well to combine.
- Stir in the sour cream, salt, and white pepper and cook until the ingredients are combined and hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
We had this with a big bowl of roasted veggies, and a salad, and it was such a satisfying meal!
If you think your family will enjoy this recipe, be sure to visit qvc.co/AroundtheTableCookbook to learn more about and purchase Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook. Filled with 156 great recipes like this, you’re sure to find something that fits your lifestyle and gathers everyone back around the table!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of QVC. The opinions and text are all mine.