This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This is one of the first new recipes I ever posted on The Creekside Cook. It only seems appropriate that I bring Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies back to the top to celebrate a new design. It had become increasingly evident that my old blog wasn’t working all that well anymore. That is no surprise since I created the design back in the Middle Ages of the internet. Technology has changed a lot since then. I’m loving the new look, and I hope that you do as well. You can let me know in the comments!
These are our favorite cookies, bar none. I don’t make them real often because they are pretty decadent, and we do try to exercise some measure of self-control. I am helpless in the face of these – bittersweet chocolate, coconut, toasted pecans, dried sour cherries – all in a brown sugar oatmeal dough that bakes up crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Perfection.
I use unsweetened coconut in these because I think the sweetened kind makes them a little too sugary. If you can’t find unsweetened, use your regular supermarket brand, and cut the granulated sugar by a tablespoon or two. You can also use the regular kind of oats, but I would zap them up in the food processor a bit so they get cooked while the cookies bake – if you don’t mind the heavier texture, then just leave them whole. You can substitute any dried fruit you may have on hand, but the dried sour cherries are pretty amazing. In the recipe, you will find links to some of the ingredients, just in case you’re unable to find them locally.
Equipment I use in my kitchen
Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 tablespoon & 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried sour cherries
- Preheat oven to 350º, and line heavy baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the butter in the mixer bowl and beat briefly.
- Add sugars and beat until combined and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat until creamy.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda and powder and beat until combined.
- Add the oats and and coconut and beat until mixed in.
- Add the nuts, chocolate and cherries and beat until combined.
- Portion dough onto baking sheets with a medium cookie scoop or measure at 1 & 1/2 tablespoon each - leave a couple inches between cookies as they will spread out some.
- Bake for about 14 minutes, until very nicely browned, turning sheets halfway through baking time.
- Cool on a rack, store tightly sealed for up a week at room temperature.
Look pretty yummy, don’t they? If you enjoyed these Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies, you may enjoy a few other sweet treats too! Brown Butter Pecan Cookies or Lime Butter Cookies, both favorites around here!