Carrots. Healthy & full of vitamins. Fiber. Antioxidants, probably. Home grown with all natural gardening methods. Sweat of our brow and all that good stuff. I know what we should do with these nice, healthy carrots – let’s make some into cookies! Yay! Chewy Carrot Cookies! Yay!
Seriously – we do eat a lot of carrots. We grow a lot and when those are gone we buy more through the winter. And with all of the nutritious, healthy veg we have been enjoying, we can afford a few cookies now and then, don’t you think? Though, to be honest, I’m not sure we need 3 batches of carrot cookies. But, that is how many batches it took me to be happy with these, and you will thank me for my extra effort, cause they are mighty tasty.
I think I’ll send the extras to work with Larry – they will be gone in no time at all on a construction site. I’m not sure what I’ll do with my excess baked goods when he retires, but for now, I am not keeping them all around here. They have to go, cause they are too good to stay – I absolutely can’t resist them. I can even fool myself into thinking they are a little good for me – they have carrots, and raisins and walnuts and coconut oil. All that stuff is really good for you, right? Right.These, as the name suggests, have a nice chewy texture, and tons of great fall flavors. If you wanted a more cake-y sort of cookie, you could increase the flour to two cups, and chill the dough before baking, but we much preferred the chewier, less dense version.
- ½cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ½ cup soft butter
- 1 & ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 & ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 & ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- ½ cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- ½ cup golden raisins, chopped if large
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line heavy baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or other large bowl, if a hand mixer is to be used, combine the coconut oil, butter and brown sugar, until light and somewhat fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, and then the vanilla, ginger, lemon zest and carrots.
- Add the remaining ingredients and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Drop, using a small cookie scoop or teaspoon, onto the prepared baking sheets, and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, turning halfway through baking time.
- Remove to a cooling rack, and repeat, until all of the batter is used up.
- Makes about 72 cookies.
Don’t you think they look like they would be good for you?Here – try some on a plate – much more civilized.Healthy and civilized – that’s a winning combo if I ever saw one!
Pingback: Chewy Carrot Cookies | dlyn